Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Lydia's Birth Story




You may be wondering why I would post all the details of Lydia's birth...because it's a crazy story! Here's how it went:




Saturday morning I woke up not really having the best nights' sleep. My contractions seemed a little stronger than normal but after a few hours they hadn't gotten any closer together or stronger. One of the midwives had told me that I would know the difference between the "practice" contractions that I had been having since I was about 20 weeks and the real ones. Since I wasn't feeling that different, I didn't really think that I was in early labor.




We called our midwife around 10am to inform her that the contractions were all over the place ranging from 7-10 minutes apart, but not intentsifying. She had me take some herbs and go lie down to rest to see if they would go away. About an hour and a half later, the contractions we still the same so the midwife wanted me to get up and moving again to see if they would get stronger. Well...instantly I had 3 really intense contractions about 5 minutes apart and called Josiah and the midwife to have them get here quickly. Josiah made it home about 5 minutes later when the contractions were about 2 minutes apart and I was feeling like I needed to push. Only another 4 or 5 contractions and Baby Lydia Grace was here...not waiting for the midwife or her assistant. The entire labor and delivery was documented as lasting approximately 53 minutes.




The Lord was good and the birth happened completely natural with no complications! She was delivered by her mommy, her daddy who was on the phone getting step-by-step instructions, her Grandma Sheila who wrapped her in a blanket, and her Grandma Deb who was scurrying around to hand us everything we were calling for. She is a blessing and a wonderful baby who currently (knock on wood) loves to sleep.




Thank you all for your prayers!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Congratulations! Praise God that He answered your prayers for the "perfect" home birth that you guys wanted. She's beautiful! Can't wait to meet her in person.

Anonymous said...

whoa!! that's awesome!!! you've definitely topped all birth stories i've ever heard! Congrats!!! Love to hear it from Josiah's view point too :). ~ Julia

Love, Melissa said...

wow, what a story! I'm glad it all turned out well. I bet that was nice to only push a few times and have it over with. Take care.